Is Anybody Out There?
Ointment and perfume delight the heart. And the sweetness of a man’s friend gives delight by hearty counsel – Proverbs 27: 9 (New King James Version)
Have you ever felt lonely? Sad? Helpless? Anxious? I bet! Everyone has gone through a phase of loneliness, anxiety, sadness (name every sort of negative feeling), but remember – just because we feel that way doesn’t mean it’s true ( You can read our previous posts if you want to learn more about handling negative feelings)..
The crux of this article is companionship/friendship/relationship – whatever you want to call it!
Whenever we go through negative (or positive) experiences, the human instinct in us yearns to share it with someone. Humans long for a deeper connection and companionship. We all need a friend, family, or just anyone really to go through life with. It’s just the way we are wired.
As a result of how we are designed – to crave companionship, we need to check ourselves and ask – “Would I want a friend like me? Do I value loyalty? honesty? Do I want to go to bed at night knowing someone has my back? And would I do the same?” No one is perfect but, being a great companion is a quality everyone should have, especially if that is what we want for ourselves.
I believe a good companion should:
- Be honest. We all need someone in our corner who will tell us the truth no matter how hard it is to hear. The fact is we often might not like what we hear, but at least we know the truth is not being sugar coated by those we love.
- Encourage us. Everyone needs a “hype man”. Someone to encourage us when we are about to start a new project, phase, journey etc. Someone who supports our dreams and is willing to stand with us no matter the obstacle. Someone who fights for us, even when we aren’t there.
- Pray for us. The world is tough enough as it is. We all need a sprinkle of prayer in our lives. A friend who prays for us is priceless. It is a selfless thing to remember others when we pray. It shows we aren’t only thinking of ourselves.
- We all fall short! Every time – unconsciously and consciously at times. But you see, If God can forgive us every single time we fall short, why can’t we have a friend that can do the same? It’s called unconditional love. We should practice this as often as we can.
- Bring out the best in Us! We need someone who will help us be the best version of ourselves. We grow every day and we need someone who will help us build our character.
I could go on and on about the characteristics of a good friend/companion, but I’ll just stop right here. Being a good companion can be challenging. Abiding in Christ is the secret ingredient that a good friend possesses. The most important thing about any human relationship/connection is honoring God. Don’t forget to be the type of companion you want for yourself!